Attempted to make th Steamed Malay Cake today! Not very successful cause….. i over-steamed it! I only went to shower leh, but when i went to check, its alr overcook. LOL!!!!! ); But it wasnt that bad, cause it doesnt look nice but th taste was there!
Tip: Make sure you check it regularly to avoid overcooking it! (;
Anw, will show you all th whole process! (; Recipe used will be at th end of th post ok! (;
Th ingredients used…..
Tip: Use a mixing machine if possible! Cause th whisking of egg and sugar part is too tiring!!!
After i add in the oil and vanilla essence into th end mixture, i seperated the mixture into 4 portions cause i wanted to get different colors!
– Yellow (Original color) Tip: You can still add yellow coloring if you want a stronger yellow
– Pink (Red coloring)
– Green (Green coloring)
– Brown??? (Mixture of Red and Green coloring) LOL
Ready to send for steaming….
Wait. I guess its alright if i show you all th failed version of my malay cake right? So those of you who want to try it out will learn from my mistake!!!! ^^
I guess your reaction must be “ERRR WHAT? This is pink?” HAHAHAH. I swear it was super nice when i saw it rising! And when i came down after my shower it was overcooked and turned out like that! );
And im sorry, i cant tell which is brown and which is yellow. );
And the green one! Which seems like a success cause i had it steamed during th second round!!! HAHAHA. My dad said it was a success based on th taste and appearance. Thats cause i didnt show him th failed ones from th first batch! HAHAHAHHA
– 6 small eggs (im using bigger eggs so i used 5)
– 250g of Hong Kong flour
– 250g of sugar
– 150ml of oil (im using sunflower oil)
– 2 tsp of baking powder
– 1/2 tsp of baking soda
– 60g of custard powder
– 1/4 tsp of vanilla essence
– colouring (im using green and red)
1. Sift flour, custard powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg and sugar till fluffy.
3. Add in flour and powder to egg. Mix well.
4. Proof doug for 30 minutes
5. Add in oil, essence and coloring. Mx well.
6. Steam for 35 to 40 minutes over high heat. (IMPORTANT: Dependent on th size of your cups/ tins!!!!)
Hope those of you who are gonna give th recipe a try will make it a success!!! (; Good luck <3